Vertigo is the sensation that the person or the things around him are spinning. Similar conditions include dizziness and disequilibrium. When things like this occur, one may wonder what has caused it. Often, it can be linked back to a misalignment of the upper neck vertebrae.
The C1 and C2 vertebrae are the top two bones of the neck. If these bones are out of alignment by as little as ¼ of a millimeter, the entire body and the head will become misaligned. The body goes through a process known as righting reflex that keeps the eyes level with the horizon line. The head can weigh anywhere between 10 and 14 pounds. If it must tilt, even slightly, to keep your eyes level, this can cause all kinds of problems in the spine. The bones of the spine compensate for this tilting by moving and twisting. What are the results of this?
To learn more about the connection between head and neck injuries and vertigo download our complimentary e-book How to Naturally Relieve Vertigo without Drugs by clicking the image below.
- The body’s organs can move out of their proper position to compensate for the spinal misalignment.
- This misalignment hinders your brain and body from communicating properly as undue pressure is placed on the brainstem.
- Blood flow and cerebral spinal fluid flow to and from the brain are disrupted.
- Pressure sensors in the upper neck fail to send proper signals about what is happening in the body.
- The cranial nerves that attach to the ears will not work properly.
How Can a Person Ease the Symptoms of Vertigo?
All of the above can create the right environment in the body for vertigo, disequilibrium, and dizziness. If a person is experiencing any of these, a good place to look for help is by seeking the care of an upper cervical chiropractor. At Precision Chiropractic West, we examine patients to see if they do have any misalignments of the upper neck. Then we work with them to develop a treatment plan that will bring the spine back into alignment.
We use the Atlas Orthogonal technique, which allows the natural healing process of the body to begin, restoring the person back to a healthier state. Many have reported seeing a decrease in their symptoms of vertigo after only a few visits.